Search This Blog

Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Catcher In The Rye




In 1952 I became enthralled by  J. D. Salinger’s The Catcher In The Rye. The book for the most part was considered a “Must Read” by the crowd I ran with. I was skim reading it until I reached the point where Holden meets with Sally Hayes, at that point I had to stop and reread the book from the beginning. Holden’s relationship with Miss Hayes struck me in the gut. I knew the story, I had felt the feelings!

He was obviously torn in trying to admit to himself that he loved this girl. He decides to call her and ask her out since she is intelligent and sophisticated, while on the other hand he thinks she is stupid. I remember in trying to define my love at this time I couldn’t make up mind. A joy? A pain? Want? Love? Lust? Why does the female do this to us? Even as a suave young man soon to turn 21 I felt crazy like Holden and unable to think straight when in their (most of all HER) presence.

She arrives late, but that’s ok because she has the looks! He wants to marry her, yet he hates her! He is crazy! They go skating and it is blatantly clear that he is checking her out. He thinks that she chose to do this only to provide the chance for her to wear a short skirt and how off her “cute ass”. And he admits that it looks good.

But then he makes an offer that speaks more to me than anything, he suggests they should run away to New England and live in a cabin together. I do not believe that this anything more than a ploy to either run her off or to run away from her. And that was my downfall in my earlier years. Either run off the people around me or get out of Dodge myself.


If I could erase time and change anything it would be to stop running from my fears and admit my loves…..

No comments:

Post a Comment